The Cathedral of St. Emidio stands in the center of the city of Ascoli Piceno, namely Square Arringo.
The cathedral is dedicated to St. Emidio, bishop and patron saint of the city of Ascoli Piceno.
The building as we see it today is the result of several phases of construction overlapping occurred between the eighth and sixteenth century. He even thinks that an existing building was dedicated to the Roman gods.
The appearance of the cathedral more similar to what we have today dates back to 1529 when it was demolished the old façade and it was built for a new project Cola dell’Amatrice. was also built a new altar in the Baroque style, completed the times of the three naves and two staircases built for admission to the aisles.
The façade, built in travertine, consists of three parts, divided by four columns. The portal provides halved vertically on either side columns with bases, capitals and cornices in the Ionic style. At the rear of the cathedral is the transept on whose wall, two openings on the particular open crypt of St. Emidio.
On the left side opens the door Musa, known expression of the late Renaissance art.
The interior has a Latin cross with three naves. The presbytery is raised and the great octagonal dome was frescoed by the Roman painter Cesare Mariani. A wooden half of the XV is located in the apse.
Under the Cathedral you can visit the crypt in which are the remains of St. Emidio in a Roman sarcophagus of the fourth century, which serves as an altar.
Altarpiece by Carlo Crivelli
The famous polyptych by Carlo Crivelli is kept at the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, a masterpiece of the Venetian. The same as other jewelry chapel houses a precious silver frontal which is considered the most important work of goldsmiths of the Marches and a silver statue of St. Emidio representative to the work of another author Ascoli, Peter Vanini, famous for its reliquaries.